I was mindlessly checking my Facebook today when I needed a mental break and I came across an article that Greatist (https://www.facebook.com/greatistblog?fref=nf) posted via Elite Daily (www.elitedaily.com) titled 10 Things That The People Who Love Their Lives Are Doing Differently by Paul Hudson.
I don’t like to say I read ‘self help’ books/articles/blogs because that seems to have such a negative connotation attached to it, like “o, you’re life must be pretty bad if you’re going as far as to read that material” or “life isn’t that hard to figure out, what’s your problem?” But I do think we can all use different ideas/tips/tricks to help better our lives. It is easy to get stuck in our own personal bubble that it is nice to hear the thoughts and ideas from other people to help expand our horizon.
This article spoke to me a lot, not because I feel like I’m totally loving my life right now, but becuase a lot of the ‘things’ are steps that I try to focus on in my personal life because they are important to me and it’s nice to read that I’m not alone in these;)
Below are a few of my favorites. Enjoy and check the full article out yourself at Elite Daily.
- “They live in the moment, but dream in the future: You can’t live life doing nothing more than looking towards the future because you’ll miss the only time that things actually matter or exist: the present. The present, the immediate moment is the only moment that you can actually live in. The rest is only an illusion.”
- This is a really good one for me to remember, because I tend to live in the future or the past. I have actually been doing ‘exercises’ though to help me live more in the moment. I find doing a gratitude journal really can help with this because it reminds you to look for the good things in your day. For example today as I was walking to my car I sat and fully took in this amazing full tree with the most gorgeous colors, and it was such a happy moment of my day!
- “They don’t bother changing others, but instead learn how to deal with them appropriately: Learn to deal with people as they are in order to get the result you desire. If you can’t change them, then guide them to do as you wish. Otherwise, let them go.’
- This is also such a great lesson for me to remember. I try to be very aware of the fact that we can’t change people, so like them for who they are – but it’s always a good reminder.
- “When you ask them what they do, they don’t give you a job title: You live life whether you accept or ignore the fact, how you live it in the moment determines how happy you are.”
- Let’s just try a little harder to live the lives we want to be living now, shall we?
- “They see the world as their playhouse and their mind as the conductor: We all live in a reality of our own construction. Some of us just contruct our realities better than others.”
- It’s a great reminder that while there are things we cannot control, there are so many things we can control. And the way we chose to perceive our current situation is one of them. We have the power to change the way we perceive the world around us and the circumstances we are in – it’s important to use that to our advantage!